Friday, February 5, 2010

Sometimes it's better to listen to good advice

You know, I was thinkin' today about good advice. Me and my brother Kole were in the car today talking about advice. He pulled up this cool quote (by who knows who.) It went like this "One ounce of experience is worth one pound of advice". Now this reminded me of another quote I head read the previous day it went like this "If I had a little bit of humility. . . I would be perfect." (No I'm just kidding! I did mention that, but that was later!:)

But anywho, why got onto talking about advice was because recently I had been working studying for a College Clep test. And Kole and Kade had been pushing me and telling me I had to study more if I really wanted to pass it. I usually got angry at them and told them to mind their own business, or just because they had taken the test before didn't mean that they knew everything.

But anyway I just took the the test today and the passing was 50 and I got a 52. . . out of 120 questions. (Most of the questions didn't even know, I was praying that I would just make it by. I probably prayed ten times during the test. But it helped.) When we got home (after our talk in the car) Kade came up to me. "So what did you get?" he asked me, "Like a 52?!" "Yeah I know I should have studied more" I replied, knowing what would come next I said, "Yeah I know your motto 'always listen to Kade."

And I realized today that we are like that to God. God gives us correction and advice through his word and through people and we say "yeah sure, just because you know how this works doesn't mean that you know how it works," (yeah it's that dumb). Or "mind your own business. . . leave me alone. . . I can do this by my self." It's about time we started listening to good advice. or as the title says 'Sometimes it's better to listen to good advice.'

Kyler

btw do you like the quote i put up?

9 comments:

kwinn said...

The post is awesome.

X

Kade said...

always listen to kade.

Rachel said...

Wait, what exactly is a CLEP test? (sorry that's probably a dumb question..)
But I know I've taken college tests on some stuff and they were hard... well, Dr. Menton's wasn't all that hard 'cept for the fill in the blanks... studying definitely helps ;)
Rach

Rachel said...

Have you ever heard of Dr Menton? Or Dr. Lisle? Nick and I went to listen to their classes at JHBC. They teach at AiG. Dr. Menton did anatomy, the Scopes Trial, feathers, and ape-men... Dr. Lisle did apologetics and astronomy =) It was so fun! Dr. Lisle's test was HARD though. I think it was 56 questions long. The last ten you had to read a sentence that had a logical fallacy and then write down which fallacy it was (out of reification, equivocation, begging the question, question begging epithet, irrelavent thesis, complex question, affirming the consequent, denying the antecedent, etc)..... yeah =) Just to clear things up if you were wondering (I know, you probally weren't)... WOW this has been a long comment!!

Rach

Poema said...

yeah, and i had no idea what you said.
ky

Poema said...

But a CLEP test is a college test that you take over at the college that gives you college credits that you can use to 'clep' out of college.
Ky

Rachel said...

Do you want me to explain that again then? :)

kwinn said...

nah, i think I'm fine. i can still read the other comment until i get it. thanks anyways.
Ky

Anonymous said...

ok, just checkin' =) Oh, btw, JHBC (Jackson Hole Bible College) is a college my pastor started awhile ago.... I wasn't sure if you knew what that stood for :)
~Rach